- About the place
- Visitors information
For 1300 years the Cathedral at Lichfield has been a major centre for prayer and for the worship of God. The first cathedral, built in 700AD to house the shrine of St Chad, was replaced by the Norman Cathedral begun in 1085 to continue worship and serve the growing number of pilgrims. The present Gothic building was built between 1195 and 1330.
The shrine of St Chad was destroyed at the Reformation and, during the sieges of the Civil War, the fabric of the Cathedral was badly damaged. Restoration, begun in 1660, has continued ever since, notably under Gilbert Scott in the nineteenth century.
The “Ladies of the Vale”, the three spires of Lichfield Cathedral, which can be seen for many miles around, have been a banner to pilgrims through the centuries. The modern visitor is also drawn by them to learn more about this ancient and beautiful building.
The Cathedral is the venue for many musical events and the focus of the Lichfield International Music Festival held each July.
Lichfield Cathedral houses a number of treasures which include; the Lichfield Gospels, an eighth century illuminated manuscript; the mediaeval tiled floor of the Library; the 16th century Herkenrode windows of the Lady Chapel; sculptures by Sir Francis Chantry and Sir Jacob Epstein; and the Lang Lichfield Collection of modern silver.
St Mary's Heritage Centre
Samuel Johnson's Birthplace
Staffordshire Regiment Museum
St Chad's Church with its ancient well.