Connect

Newcastle Cathedral

History

The present building, built in the 14th-15th centuries, was elevated to cathedral status in 1882, but there have been churches on the site since 1091.

Together with the adjacent Castle Keep it occupies a prime site on a hill above the River Tyne and within 5 minutes walk of the main railway station.

The Cathedral’s Mission Statement states that:

The Lantern of the Cathedral Church of St Nicholas in Newcastle upon Tyne is a sign of God’s purpose and presence in the city and diocese, and represents a Cathedral:

L Looking out for the light of Christ and learning from others,
A Alive, active and available,
N Nurturing worship and nourishing faith,
T Teaching truth and training for service,
E Ecumenically embracing and encouraging excellence,
R Relating, responding and reconciling,
N Now and for God’s future

 

Attractions

The Area around St Nicholas Cathedral and the Castle form the mediaeval core of Newcastle. The ancient river crossing led into the town via Side street,
beneath the Castle Keep, Black Gate and up to St Nicholas.

The Church is mainly 14th Century, with a 15th Century Lantern Tower.
Mediaeval treasures include the ornate font cover, a stained glass roundel of the Virgin Mary and infant Jesus, and the magnificent Thornton Memorial Brass.

Other features include a fine alabaster reredos, hand-carved misericords, the 17th Century Hall and Maddison Memorials, and the Collingwood Monument dedicated to Admiral Lord Collingwood

Local Interest

We are situated very close to the Castle Keep.